Yesterday, it was announced that on Friday, July 16, the province will move into Step 3 of Ontario’s Roadmap to Reopening. Waterloo Region is slated to move to Step 2 on Monday, July 12 – however, it is expected to join the rest of the province in Step 3 on July 16.
Step 3 Highlights for Creative Spaces
Face coverings in indoor public settings and physical distancing requirements remain in place throughout Step 3.
Outdoor social gatherings and organized public events with up to 100 people with limited exceptions are permitted.
Indoor social gatherings and organized public events with up to 25 people are permitted.
Museums, Galleries and Historic Sites
Museums, galleries, historic sites, aquariums, zoos, landmarks, botanical gardens, science centres, casinos/bingo halls, amusement parks, fairs and rural exhibitions, festivals, can operate with capacity limited to not exceed 50 per cent capacity indoors and 75 per cent capacity outdoors.
Concert Venues, Cinemas and Theatres
Concert venues, cinemas, and theatres permitted to operate at:
- Up to 50 per cent capacity indoors or a maximum limit of 1,000 people for seated events (whichever is less).
- Up to 75 per cent capacity outdoors or a maximum limit of 5,000 people for unseated events (whichever is less); and up to 75 per cent capacity outdoors or a maximum of 15,000 people for events with fixed seating (whichever is less).
Photography Studios and Services
Photography studios and services can operate indoors and outdoors with restrictions.
Indoor meeting and event spaces permitted to operate with physical distancing and other restrictions still in effect and capacity limited to not exceed 50 per cent capacity or 1,000 people, (whichever is less).
All construction is open.
What happens next?
For Ontario to have most restrictions of Step 3 lifted, the province must:
- Remain in Step 3 for at least 21 days
- 80% of Ontarians over the age of 12 must have received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and 75% have received a second.
- All public health units must have 70% of their eligible population fully vaccinated.
- Other key public health and health care indicators must remain stable.
At this point, Step 3 precautions would be lifted, and small safety measures would remain in place, such as passive screening and a safety plan for businesses.